Sunday, November 06, 2005

From the mouths of babes. . .

I thought I’d try something a little different this time, and I may make it a somewhat regular part of the site. I often have lively discussions with my kids regarding current events, politics, and social issues as they relate to them in their daily environment, and all matter of other things. That’s right. . . I actually talk to my kids! But wait . . . it gets worse . . . not only do I think they have valid and valuable opinions, but I’ve challenged them to actually . . . get ready. . . WRITE THEM DOWN!! And this is in addition to their regular homework. Ok, so it doesn’t always go over well with all four of the kids, but sometimes I get some things back that I think have great potential. Such is the case here. My older step daughter, who we’ll refer to as Dezzie, has this to submit. She calls it Why Children Should be Allowed to Vote. Check it out:

I think that children should be allowed to vote because we too have perfectly good working brains. And being a child myself, this is a question I have been pondering for a long time. Now, the way I think of it is, if we have elections at school, then why not have them for kids in the real world. I don’t think that the laws in general are the way they used to be. And our president, Bush . . . gawd!! He’s made things worse in the past 5 years! The next president, I hope, will be smarter, and actually realize that kids have their own opinion on things, such as voting. I think kids today are too underestimated. Politicians think that we can’t do most of the things that we can do. That might be a little confusing, but it’s true! I really don’t think that it’s fair! I’m sure I’m not the only child that thinks this way. And one day, we will all get together and make a difference.

-Dezzie S.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home