Sunday, October 16, 2005

More than a hand-full

Well, life is all about transition. And having said that, this next bit is a transition to a greater or lesser extent from that last pic I posted (the one with the hot Kurdish babe voting). I’ll explain:

This past week, I was sitting around with the kids trying to choose what Halloween costumes they were going to wear this year. So I had received a circular in the mail from a retail establishment known as Party City. During the fall season, they have a vast selection of Halloween costumes available for the whole family, as it were. So we were going through the circular, and I happened upon a costume called “Lots of Luv”, or something like that. This costume is actually designed for men, particularly portly men. And it consists of a velvet blue cocktail dress, and a stuffing that will give the appearance of a woman who has a large belly, ample buttocks, and very large breasts. It also comes with a blond wig. Sounds nice huh. Very funny. Well, I didn’t think so.

See, here’s the thing. Anyone who knows me and knows me well also knows that I have certain tastes and proclivities with respect to the fairer sex (girls, that is). Mainly, I enjoy “natural” women. You know, rubenesque, zaftig chicks . . . big girls – BBW’s, as guys like me call ‘em. Some would even say that I’m a “chubby chaser” (I consider that to be a derogatory term, and I recently found out that apparently this term has been adopted by the gay community for some reason, so I’m happy to say it no longer applies to me and my straight brethren). But my tastes are more than sexual, and have even extended to the socio-political realm. I’ve been into BBW’s for years, probably since I was a kid. And I’ve been involved in the BBW community to some degree or other since the mid 90’s and have been known to speak out on behalf of the rights and fair treatment of big gals, as it were. And to that end (no pun intended), that’s why I’m penning this piece.

You see, Party City, and similar retailers, not only offer the outfit I previously described, but a fair amount of similar ones, which are meant to make fun of fat chicks. For example, there’s the “Wanna Nookie”, the “Bodacious Biker Babe”, the “Tacky Tourist”, and the “Moon Over Hawaii”, just to name a few. Amazing.

Now, it seems to me that this sort of parody is just plain insensitive and mean. I mean, it’s become politically incorrect to castigate and make fun of various racial groups and ethnic groups, particularly when it comes to retail marketing. But it seems to me that one of the last bastions of social bigotry exists with regard to not just fat people, but plus-sized women in particular. Generally, it’s become acceptable for men in our country (which boasts the highest percentage of obesity on the planet too) to be overweight. They still take shit for being fat, but not so much. We guys display our lovingly cultivated beer guts with much pride. But when it comes to women, we still have a tendency to not only make fun of plus-sized women, but make great strides in many areas of American society to make women in this demographic literally feel unacceptable. It’s to the point where women even trash each other for their body types and shapes. And from my observations, women can actually be crueler than men when it comes to this sort of thing. Sad.

Although the average dress size for women in America is between a 16 and an 18, and along with that, the average cup size is a healthy D (which to me looks great on big girls and downright bizarre on skinny chicks), why is it that plus-sized fashion is an exception and not a rule? Why is it that good, current plus-sized fashions are not only comparatively rare, but significantly more expensive than the unreasonable small sizes (like sizes 2 to 8) that are widely available? That makes no sense. But I digress. With these issues on the table, why add insult to injury by making costumes like the ones I mentioned available that are meant to exclusively make fun of big girls? That sucks.

You know, just as a point of information, there is a growing plus-size modeling industry that exists. And that’s pretty fucking cool in my book. And it makes sense. It’s about time that the major modeling agencies like Ford Modeling Agency finally recognize that the overwhelming majority of women in American, who fit the plus-sized demographic, need to have current fashions and products targeted toward them and made available to them. And though it’s happening slowly, mainstream marketing is recognizing this reality. If you look, you’ll notice this here and there in TV marketing and advertising, and so forth. And there are even a fair number of women in the modeling industry who have been given the illustrious title of Plus Sized Super Models. Check this out (if you can stand it):

http://www.judgmentofparis.com/

Among the stable of prominent plus-sized women in the fashion industry and media are celebrities such as plus-sized Super Model Mia Tyler, daughter of Aerosmith front-man Steven Tyler, model and actress Christina Schmidt of Canada, musician and actress Dana Owens, a.k.a. Queen Latifah, plus-sized super model Barbara Brickner, Disney studios staple Raven Symone, and of course, plus-size modeling pioneer and Lane Bryant spokes-model Emme.

You know what I find irritating? Despite these women’s accomplishments and incredibly alluring and classic beauty, I’ll bet you any amount of money they still get dumped on for being “fat”. And of course, even fat chicks think guys like me who dig ‘em to no end, are all around freaks of nature. That always amazes me. I’m sure a fellow “FA” (that’s our secret little politically correct term for “Fat Admirer” – a guy who loves big girls) D. Trull would agree with me. Check him out.

http://www.lardbiscuit.com/

Anyway, lay off the fat chicks, folks, would ya? You’d be surprised at who you might be trashing.

4 Comments:

Blogger R.k.S. said...

Thank you so much for your contribution and kind comments. By all means, book-mark away! FYI, I tried to access your site, but it looks like your domain name registration may have expired. . . stooopid internet! :)

10:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok, I've gotta be honest here...Halloween is kind of like a "joke", wherein there isn't a joke you can tell that doesn't offend someone (i.e. Chris Rock, white people; Richard Pryor, crack addicts.) Halloween costumes went from scary subjects to "let's make fun" subjects a long time ago. It may be insulting, but they also have Clinton masks and cop outfits. I would stick this in the same thing as airline stewardess's (sp.?) boycotting Jodie Foster's movie Flightplan because it depicts them in a not so good light. Check it: http://64.233.187.104/search?q=cache:6x9oVgCwDPMJ:www.libertypost.org/cgi-bin/readart.cgi%3FArtNum%3D111498+(flightplan+jodie+foster+airline+stewardess+boycott)&hl=en
Meanwhile movies make fun of dumb cops, evil lawyers, etc. I say, lighten up and let the kids be fat chicks if they want! :-)

6:57 AM  
Blogger R.k.S. said...

I dunno. . . I can see making fun of public officials and public figures who have purposefully put themselves in the media's sites . . . especially ones who have been prone to scandalous dealings and activities. To that end, if you are a public figure, and particularly a public official, it's pretty much expected that you will be subjected to ridicule. Especially if you do something that is considered socially unacceptable, like slash your wife's throat or get head from an intern in the oval office. So that'll definitely get folks to do comedy routines about you, parody you in movies, and of course, create and wear mocking costumes and masks of you. However, I think the very act of being genetically predisposed to certain physical traits like dark skin, or slanted eyes, or a big ass or big boobs, or having a vagina, or whatever. . . that's not really worthy of being made fun of. Ok, some might say that with regards to my piece, what about the "morbidly obese"? Yeah, well . . . though it might be somewhat insensitive to make fun of these unfortunate souls, I believe it takes much work to go from say 140 lbs at 5'4" to like 400+ lbs. That's more than genetics . . . that's commitment! And it's also socially unacceptable to be gluttonous. So if someone like that is mocked once in a while, well, one may argue that they have it coming. However, not all big girls fit in the category. In fact, most don't. They're just ridiculed because they're not HUGE . . . they’re just not skinny. And I don't feel that they should be made fun of because they are what they are. Hell, Monica Lewinsky herself was castigated more for being a "fat chick" than for sucking Clinton's presidential cock. And you know what, I for one happen to think Monica's pretty damn hot. But that's just one guy’s whacky opinion. And what's the saying? Opinions are like assholes. We all have one (or we’re all one. . . I dunno.) But you know what? Thanks for bringing your insight. All viewpoints are welcome here. Public debate and discussion is the cornerstone of the First Amendment! Keep checking in, Cin! Luv ya! :)

-R.k.S.

9:52 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Love the article.It is a shame that this very subject is media driven... this would've been an issue when Marilyn Monroe was around. I find it sad almost demoralizing when a women who is a 12 or 14 is considered fat, yet a women who is a size 1, is one of beauty. It was not too long ago when a thick women was considered to be valpuous and sexy. We have deffenitly become quite shallow as a whole in this country.

I too BBW.. being a big beautiful women isn't my grief... but health is... when being thick turns into morbidly obese.. that's when it bothers me. That line is very easy to cross once you are already thick like myself.... just a thought.

Keep up the good work. So many women lose their self imagine and hand it over to others, when they are labled, big, fat, chunky or thick.

-Pink Kitty
www.PinkKittyBoutique.com

6:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home